Corona Virus (CoV) is a family of viruses that causes illnesses in mammals and more severely in human beings. The manifestation of this disease starts from, as simple as the common cold to the very lethal Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV). The virus is transmitted between animals and human beings (zoonotic). Recently (2019), a novel Corona virus has surfaced that spreads from an ill person to a healthy person.
Signs and Symptoms of Corona Virus
Corona virus normally causes mild to moderate upper respiratory tract infections causing the patient to manifest certain symptoms that can be used in its diagnosis. These include:
- Breathing difficulty
- Runny nose
- Repeated high fever
- Prolonged coughing after the fever
When the case is very severe, the virus causes pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure, and worse, death.
How it spreads
The 2019 novel Corona virus (2019-nCoV) spreads by way of respiratory droplets that are produced when an infected person either coughs or sneezes and therefore, close contact between people is an enabler. Children and aged people are more vulnerable to being attacked by the virus but adults are also at risk
While research is still ongoing concerning how to treat the disease caused by this lethal virus, there is still no vaccine or cure against Corona virus. Nonetheless, certain preventive measures can be put in place to help stay safe from the attack.
In efforts to prevent the attack and therefore, the disease caused by the deadly virus, people have to take precautions by doing the following:
- Washing hands thoroughly with soap and warm water or with an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Keeping hands and fingers away from all mucous-lined membranes including the eyes, nose and even the mouth
- Avoiding close contact with people infected by the virus or those showing cold or flu-like symptoms
- Keeping the throat moist by drinking warm water every time you feel the throat is dry
- Avoid the consumption of raw or uncooked animal products
- Avoid contact and unprotected proximity when visiting live markets in areas currently experiencing cases of nCoV.
- Avoid direct unprotected contact with live animals and surfaces in contact with animals.
It is important to note that it is advisable that people do not hold their thirst because once the membrane lining the throat is dried, the deadly virus will easily make its way into the body in a very short time.
Corona virus is a deadly virus. The previously existent virus has developed into what has been temporarily termed the 2019-nCoV. The virus spreads from an infected person to a healthy person through direct contact and by means of respiratory droplets. Among the precautionary measures that people have to adhere to in a bid to stay safe from the disease include practicing proper hygiene, avoiding contact with infected persons, and cooking animal products thoroughly. Owing to the fact that there is no known vaccine or treatment, people must take care of themselves.